Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Prometheus: Early Screening

This morning I got to watch what was my most anticipated movie of 2012. In the face of Dark Knight Rises, Avengers and whatever else have you, Prometheus was the one movie I was dying to see.

How did it hold out?


The Short of it: Prometheus is a good film, save for a few flaws it's probably one of the best Sci-fi movies I've seen in a long time, but I think fans of the Ridley Scott's 1979 Alien will appreciate it more, while the casual movie goer might like it for it's visual flare, but dislike it for it close nit story.

And here's the long of it: No Spoliers

Prometheus isn't an action movie and despite a few creepy bits it's not a horror movie either. The only way I can think to describe Prometheus is that it's a movie that tells a story. Not to make it sound boring because it's not. The 2 hours or so I spent watching Prometheus went by in a heart beat, because it's that engrossing.

Visually the movie is amazing, but it delivers it's stunning visuals in such away that none of it steals  from the plot being driven on screen. Every now and then I would think too myself : "whoa that looks awesome!" because everything is implemented in such a way that it all felt very practical and believable.

The thing that struck me the most is how everything looked so high tech and fancy in the film and yet you could totally believe that the events of Alien would follow this.

For example the Tech being used in Prometheus looks awesome, but you can still believe that the Tech in Alien would evolve from this. Even the vehicles they use are similar to the ones in James Cameron's Aliens. 

Speaking of Alien lets just clarify this, Prometheus is a Prequel,  but I can see now what Ridley meant when he said that it's not a Direct prequel.

Though the events of Prometheus don't link directly to anything that happens in Alien, the results of these events are seen in the Alien Films. It's very hard to explain without spilling the plot, but just know if you've seen Alien then there will be so many moments where you'll be going "o so that's it" or " o that's why that happened." Some of the locations look as though they were ripped directly from the older movie too.

In the end this is what I enjoyed most about the movie, the nods and set ups for Alien.

The Characters were a mixed bag of "interesting" and "meh." Ironically Micheal Fassbender's Android character of David was probably the most explored in the film, and though Charlize Theron was being set up as sort of the antagonist of the film - she was one of my favorite roles. I saw a bit of Sigourney Weaver's Ripply in her, as someone who looks like she knows what has to be done, and she does it with a look of shock and at times fear on her face.

The other characters didn't leave any kind of impression at all, mostly because they didn't get to do much aside from f**k up here and there to drive the story.

Spoilers but without giving away plot.

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was that the plot would make certain characters go against their established characteristics just to move the story forward. A few times I was like "Why the fuck would he do that?"

Some of the stuff the characters do are just dumb, and for a movie that's trying so hard to be believable you'd think they'd avoid such things.

Plus I also felt some parts of the movie were a little understated.

The main plot of "creationism" that's been seen in the trailers is very full on for the first 15mins of the film, before it's all but forgotten. Plus some of the major discoveries made by the characters are very under played.

"Hey their DNA is a 100% match to ours..."

" O that's cool ... hey ima go now."

 The movie does try to make us care about a few key moments, but a lot of these moments have such little build up or back story that you just don't give a shizz.

"Don't worry - we'll sacrifice ourselves to save us"

Wait - who the heck you? Have you done anything yet in the film?

After all this it might sound weird me saying this, but I loved the movie. Though it was a little underwhelming at first, it does well to add to the Alien mythos, which aside from Ridley and Cameron's contribution, isn't the best line up of movies to begin with.

At the end of credits I was actually stunned by it, despite the little hick ups here and there. It wasn't till I sat down and went over some of the plot holes and such that the annoyances I mentioned above came back to me.

If you're into sci-fi or just good movie making - then Prometheus will be very pleasing, but if if you're a fan of the Alien franchise then this movie will really shine.

Especially the very final moments of the film - that really did it for me. Not telling why.

EDIT: Wanted to add this link to a page I found which lists pretty much all the discrepancies I had with the movie.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...